Saturday 21 January 2012

Showy Iceland & non-existant (for me) Goosander


Allowing for the rain to clear, I visited Leathes ham, a male and female Pintail were very close to the feeding area but the light was dreadful again and the superb adult Iceland Gull was perched on one of the cut tree stumps, mostly preening during the period of observation, I did manage to get a few shots of it. Eventually the Iceland Gull flew over to a distant roof and it was my cue to leave. Good to see Andrew E and Paul & Jane here.
Next stop, Oulton Broad after receiving danny P's messages of the Goosander showing well. Thoroughly checking the Boulevard and the rowing club slipway I couldn't see hide nor hair of it. Compensation came in a very confiding Wood Duck amongst some boat, so close I had to step back a little way to obtain shots with my 500mm fixed lens. Paul & Jane arrived and Andrew and Rob Wil arrived my we still didn't see it!
Going back at 3pm following Dick's text, parking at Pets corner, Rob & Andrew were there and had seen it but I couldn't find this really elusive bird on my 4th attempt! Some birds have really given me the runaround this year already, Hoopoe, RLB and now this sawbill. Disappointing.

No comments: