Monday 31 August 2020

Green- flowered Helleborine in the Great Grimpen Mire!

On Friday 28th August, Gavin D had posted a single pic on the Twitter site posting a plant he had discovered somewhere on Castle Marshes, which to me superficially resembled a Broad- leaved Helleborine. Gavin suspected it was a Green flowered Helleborine but wasn't sure as it was listed as extinct in Suffolk. He was right, I was wrong. Paul & Jane F were clearly of the opinion that it was a GFH too. When Gavin posted some superbly photographed macro pictures of the plant when he returned for a second look, I could clearly see that sensationally it WAS a Green- flowered Helleborine. So I then DM'd Gavin, congratulated him on his superb find, apologised for my mis-identification and asking if he could give me directions. Gavin went one better and very kindly offered to take us (both the Fergusons & I to the plant). So at 3pm, on Monday 31st August, we followed Gavin out from the car park and we got to the precise spot and we could clearly see the plant, a superb Green- flowered Helleborine, which was some 17cm tall and growing off the trunk of a tree. It showed the closed flowerheads, the apple green leaves, the bulbous flower heads all classic ID features of the plant. One small flower was out. The only problem was it was in the middle of a really boggy area, which I've labelled the Great Grimpen Mire (from one of my favourites: Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles) and when I tried to walk out, I sunk into the mud almost up to the top of my Wellington boots, it was quite a comedic scene to see me get stuck like this, recalling scenes when I had got stuck in a dyke at Fisher Row way back in the 1980's and Ricky was there to haul me out! SPOILER ALERT! Not wanting to suffer the same fate as Stapleton in the aforementioned "Hound" I was treading very carefully and certain angled shots I couldn't achieve! Despite the muddy mire, I was able to get some shots but not from all angles or even one of the flower which would have been nice. If Ricky had been here to share this experience, he would have loved it. He is much missed. He would have been laughing and calling it "a classic!" Thanks for all the help the Fergusons and Gavin gave me, it was a very awkward place to photograph, especially not having any firm leverage underfoot. I was able to get some shots of this wonderful plant, but not from all angles and I missed getting a pic of the flower, which was a shame. A Buzzard was seen flying into the wood on the way back. Especial thanks to Gavin for so generously coming out to show us the plant, especially on his Wedding Anniversary, clearly going above and beyond the call of duty. Especial thanks for the help from Paul & Jane F. A fantastic experience, a wonderful rare plant and as Ricky would have said a "real classic!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fascinating to see the Green Flowered Hellobrine you saw last year at Castle Marshes so late in flower. I found one at Santon Downham last year a bit earlier and it had gone well over. Let's hope it reappears this year

Peter Ransome said...

Thanks! Lets hope so