Thursday 6 August 2020

At last a trip to Wales!

I have not been able to get over to Wales to see family, because last Christmas I was suffering terribly with toothache and had to visit the emergency Dentist 4X over the Christmas period, including Christmas Eve to get treatment. In February, Storm Dennis, put paid to another planned trip and then the Coronavirus pandemic put a halt to any further plans. On Thursday 31st July, a trip to Dinas revealed a fine female Redstart around the boardwalk, several Robins seen but no sign of any Pied Flys, too late. Walked back and some birdwatchers said had I seen the Willow Tits that come to the feeders? Excited I sat down to have my lunch, and a young Blue Tit, then an adult Blue Tit visited, and very excitingly a Nuthatch which gave superlative views and I took full advantage with the camera, then a bird flew down, but it was a Marsh Tit (definitely not Willow) and they said there it is! I smiled and carried on with my photography. A Dunnock, male and female Chaffinch and the Nuthatch visited again and again. Whilst overhead 2 moulting Red Kites flew overhead. Thursday evening a walk down Cymisfael stream revealed a fantastic Dipper on the stream, one on the stream going north bathing and 1 seen between the bridges. On Friday, another walk down Cymisfael stream revealed the Dipper again and a Kingfisher flying down stream flying south. A Green Sandpiper was heard but not seen, a Raven seen flying overhead. Several Goldfinches, a Nuthatch and a Song Thrush. On Saturday, on the journey back I had to divert via Oxford off the M4 and several Red Kites seen including 7 flying together.

No comments: