Wednesday 12 August 2020

Back for photos of the Gull- billed Tern

Leaving off early at 2pm meant I could take a leisurely drive down the A12 to Alton Water again, I had put it off until this evening as I wanted to avoid being in a scrum of birders taking pics in a limited space through railings especially during the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic. When I arrived the only problem was, there were loads of boats in the water (I had just missed the Terns being on the railings dam end (it had been sighted on there at 4.50pm), so I walked over the eastern end and walked up to the promontory where a barred fence meant I could peer through at the railings. A couple joined me and by 6pm I was spotted the excellent moulting adult Gull- billed Tern flying in from the right behind the "tower" on the end of the promentory. One time it flew in the extreme left end of the reservoir and I couldn't get pics in time. But later when it flew around the end of the promontory, using my 100-400 lens I managed to get a few acceptable flight shots. Chris S soon joined us, at which point the couple left and I was able to show Chris the bird, it was really useful to have a top birder keep an eye on the bird, but he didn't need to as soon camme into land along the far railings facing left and spending most of its time preening, then having a quick doze. Unfortunately by 7.40pm, I really had to leave as it was a 1/2 mile walk back to the car and we had to get out before 8pm when the locked the gates. A great evening. As I arrived home, an adult Frog tried to leap in via the front door! c50 Common terns seen, c300 Greylag Geese, Cormorant, c10 BH Gulls and 3 Pied Wagtails.

No comments: