Saturday 29 August 2020

Dogs, dogs, dogs, dogs, dogs & yet more dogs oh, & a very brief Red- backed Shrike!

On Friday 28th August, directly after work, 5.40pm, I was walking along North Beach checking the Gulls for Andrew's Caspian no luck, but a text from James W he'd just refund the RB Shrike at Gunton Warren, it was a very elusive bird (hardly surprising when at least 3 dogs went into the scrubby area where it was hiding during the 90 minute observation). This place always has a lot of dog walkers but the sheer volume of dogs here was ridicuolous, there would have been less dogs at Crufts! There were big dogs, small dogs, the average number people seemed to have were 5!!! Despite the dogs, a reasonably showy Wheatear was perched on gorse and later on I obtained a few pics in the fading light. As Andrew arrived he could see the Shrike, James W and I walked down & James W picked it up and I saw a bird fly right off a dangling bramble branch. Not enough for me to ID it but undoubtedly the bird. However as Andrew, James W and I (& we were joined by Julie) a dog off lead went straight through the area dispersing 3 birds, a Linnet, Greenfinch and I saw the superb Red- backed Shrike fly back on with rufous back and square ended tail, it sat briefly out for around ten seconds, then the dog came back and flushed it left and I didn't see the bird again.

No comments: