Sunday 6 October 2019

Wonderful Ring Ouzel at Gunton ORT

At 5pm I saw 1 Redwing fly over the garden calling "steep" and a Song Thrush heard in the garden that was seen flying over to fallow fields. A Stock Dove was also seen flying south over the Parkhill Hotel wall at some some height too. This inspired me to check the local area. After all the rain that had fallen and with easterly winds and easing of the rain, meant I would go out with just the bins (should have taken the camera but it was still raining albeit lightly!) I looked around Gunton Old Rail track, Dip Farm, Hubbards Loke, Gunton Woodland Burial and then leeward side of the ORT hedge. Totals of 34 Song Thrush, 30 Robin, 12 Redwing, 10 Blackbird, 5 Goldcrest (all seen along the Gunton ORT bar 1 Goldcrest at Hubbards Loke, where I also saw 2 Chaffinch. Best of all as I was walking along the lea (inland side of the Gunton ORT bushes by the fence around 100 yards north of the Gunton Woodland burial. I saw an interesting Rouzel type Thrush fly into the second red- berried Hawthorne bush, It was only around 10 metres away and slightly obscured view in the bush. I looked at it, noting both the brown long bill chocolate brown head and mantle, distinctive white fringing to the wings and a very slight pale patch on the upper breast. I was so close, I could see the distinctive scalloping to the underparts (last seen on the other bird I saw really close the Oval bird- read on) and long wings extending beyond the rump, another good ID feature. It was a superb immature female Ring Ouzel and it was very confiding sitting on the same perch for around 10 minutes. I was really enjoying these views rarely seen this close as they are usually so skulking and secretive. It was "chacking" quite a bit too, which is as another aural ID feature, as I slowly edged round to get further views. It would have been to nice to photograph, but I hadn't brought my camera as it was still raining (albeit slightly when I left home) although the light was not great either and the bird was partially obscured but definitely my best views since the fine adult male I had seen on the Oval, one spring, several years ago. I really enjoyed watching this fine bird and it was ample reward for getting wet this afternoon and all of the dips yesterday! After 10 minutes it flew back to its original bush and out of sight where I decided to leave it go to roost without being disturbed.

No comments: