Saturday 12 October 2019

All quiet at Benacre but birds on the way back home

A report of a possible RN Grebe on Benacre Broad had me driving in light rain to Covehithe, on Saturday 12th October I walked down to the Broad in the fields just south a group of Gulls included an adult Yellow- legged Gull, a real brute of a bird with a very white head, slightly darker slate grey back yellow legs. By the Broad nothing really seen but the Tit flock moving past the hide revealed a Treecreeper scaling up the trunk of a tree. walking back past the wood, I heard the rattling of an unseen Mistle Thrush. Back at the Covehithe path walk, I heard the rasping of a Brambling 3 birds flew off one was definitely the Brambling. Walking back by the path to Covehithe Broad in the large tree, I had a good view of a Chiff- Chaff in the light rain. Hearing of a BR at Heritage Green, Kessingland, I met David B and the female Black Redstart seen in gardens opposite with it briefly seen on the fence then it flew back and settled on the left hand corner of a roof for 10 seconds before it flew down and out of sight. Going onto the North Denes, after Andrew E had tweeted a Dartford had been seen following Stonechat around. I saw James B and I could see a male Stonechat but no sign of the Dartford. James left and I walked along the inland path to check some brambles when I heard some cracking and a silver winged chocolate brown female Ring Ouzel with pale cream on the upper breast flew past and perched in the pines and then out of sight. As I was searching for this bird. I turned and saw the male Stonechat, perched on the brambles but even better around 10 metres behind it the Dartford Warbler flew up and perched for 20 seconds on one of the tall Alexanders before flying down, my first sighting on the North Denes. Despite phoning James B, who had only just reached home and him returning, we failed to see either the Dartford or the Ouzel again.

No comments: