Tuesday 8 October 2019

Shore Lark again and nasty encounter

This morning at first light I drove down and saw the Shore Lark perched along the top walkway, it then started singing briefly and then flew down to the gravel area, where I saw it well. Also finally seen was a female Black Redstart perched on the railings, a long overdue first sighting of this species for me in 2019. Directly after work, I returned after a fruitless quick visit to Gunton ORT where nothing was seen. The fine Shore Lark was seen again along the top walkway just north of the usual area. I noticed a person hanging around by the railings with a dog but when a woman walking her dog walked straight and deliberately at the bird (she didn't walk on she returned the railings) and scared it and hurling a load of expletives at both me and another birder with his young family (whatever his wife/ young children thought I don't know, but they soon left.) We were entirely innocent of any provocation. She is slim 30's with mousey or blond hair wearing a yellow fluorescent cagoule and walking a Golden Retriever type dog. I have unfortunately encountered her before, whilst photographing an immature Kittiwake on the sea wall by the Link's road car park and a load of abuse was hurled at me then, too. If it happens again, I will notify the Police. She doesn't like birders or photographers, so best to keep well clear of her. The bird flushed to the aerial mast area again. It fed around the concrete weedy edges and flew to the top part and even started singing which was lovely to hear. I also saw 2 Black Redstarts here and briefly heard the song of a male Black Redstart too. This couldn't be fully enjoyed because fearing my safety, the aforementioned woman was joined by a man/ partner they were conversing in a very loud turn her talking about the ******* birdwatchers and feeling a little trapped here, I decided to leave. The light was going anyway, so I left again having not improved on my shots from the previous evening in part due to the obnoxious dog walker.

No comments: