Wednesday 9 October 2019

Stunning views of the Shore Lark today

On Wednesday 9th October leaving work at 1.30pm I went straight down to Ness Point and drove up to the old Coastguards car park at the southern end of Ness Point. Another car was already there and really good to see Tim B photographing the Shore Lark posing on the wall. I crawled round the back of Tim's car and fired off a few shots before I got back in the car and we both got some great shots from our cars with the bird still on the sea wall even giving a brief snatch of song, it sat down and rested for some 20 minutes before flying down to the car park and feeding before a walker disturbed as it flew to the seawall north of the coastguards, the bird then flew back and gave superlative views feeding in the car park as we both stayed in our cars and perched on the wall again. I saw Peter No and later Gus H, as I saw a Black Redstart briefly on the fence and Gus indicated it was perched on the dark vertical beam of the SLP building at the southern end of the SLP yard. A really enjoyable trip this time with great company and optimal conditions for photography made me very happy! A walk around the Netposts revealed little save for 3 Linnets in the weedy area. I decided to visit Gunton Wood and no sooner had I walked to the usual area that I heard first Siskin, then another, then the rasping of a Brambling then the strident "tsuip" call of a YBW. Hearing the YBW call around 5 times I finally pinned it down to the bush next to the Holm Oaks, west side of the path, it called a further 3X and I spotted it, a fine Yellow-browed Warbler, flitting about near the top and saw the cream super cilia and wing bars for all of 30 seconds before it disappeared again. A really enjoyable afternoon's birding!

No comments: