Sunday 6 October 2019

Return of the Rock Pipits and Yellow- Brow show

On Friday 4th October, I arrived at the North Denes and saw 4 winter Mediterranean Gulls (3 adult birds and 1 second- winter). At around 9.30am a wonderful Hobby flew in off the sea flew over Links Road and then over the Denes and Gunton cliff disappearing going inland over Corton road. The YBW had been seen early morning but no sign for me. I met David B and his wife and we spied a Rock Pipit on the seaward side ledge of the seawall wanting to move past and photograph it looking south so the sun was on the bird, we did an arc around the bird but as we approached the steps it was directly by the steps right by us and it flew north towards Ness Point. Leaving david B and his wife, I immediately spotted another Rock Pipit on the seaward side ledge just north and it flew north. 30 Linnet seen by the fenced off area. I then checked Gunton cliff and 100 yards north of the Holm Oak copse (300 yards north of Warren House wood), I heard the distinctive strident call of a YBW at 11.20am, it flew into a Mountain Ash and showed the Yellow- browed Warbler reasonably well where I noted both wing- bars and the super cilia from behind before it disappeared and out of sight.

No comments: