Monday 17 February 2020

RIP Benacre Hide?

On Monday 17th February, I first saw an excellent 1st winter Shag on the jetty by Mutford Lock Bridge, Oulton Broad. From there I got back into the car and drove to Covehithe. Driving along the A12 just before Wrentham, a fine Red Kite drifted west low over the woods and over the road then it drifted west. Seeing the sea had beached the Broad at Covehithe I decided to walk to Benacre Broad. Another 3 metres at least had fallen down from the cliffs following storms Ciara and Dennis. The hide was now barely 20 metres from the sea and this was at low tide. It's unlikely, unless the hide is moved and the Gooch estate so I am told is against it being moved onto their land (move a few hundred yards west so it looks out more from the south- west corner of the Broad) and Natural England unlikely to fund a move in any case. The next big storm or neap spring tide might finally submerge it and sweep it away. Such a shame for what was formerly a perfectly positioned and a very fine hide with a lot of very happy memories of being with great company and seeing some fine birds from a great vantage point, Wilson's Phalarope & WT Eagle X2 springs to mind). Initially I couldn't see the Diver, 4 Gadwall seen along the western end and then in the north west corner the fine Great Northern Diver finally surfaced and showed distantly on and off (it was constantly diving). I took some pics of the hide, the cliffs and the trees that had fallen down onto the beach, I attempted the walk to Covehithe Broad, but half way along a sandstorm forced me to retreat and retrace my steps.

No comments: