Wednesday 12 February 2020

LEO at Lenny's

On Wednesday 12th February, on my drive over Mutford Lock bridge at 12.20pm, I could see 2 Cormorants at the end of the jetty and what looked like a Shag half way along. Speaking to Jane F earlier she had had seen 2 earlier. At around 1pm after work. Lenny T very kindly invited me over to his house in Wenhaston, where I was able to view a wonderful Long- eared Owl, which had roosted at the end of his garden for the second day running and had been seen on a day or two previously. I have been fortunate enough to know Lenny for many years having been a Southwold patch worker with many great finds over the years. I was very grateful for the hospitality that both Lenny & his wife showed me and the welcome cups of tea, too! I spent a very enjoyable afternoon in the company of good friends, it was really nice to catch up and also that Gerald J and his wife also visited. The Long- eared Owl was perched on the trellis at the end of the garden under the cover of a Leyland hedge (nicely sheltered against the wind) and during the period of observation it stretched, preened itself and looked around but firmly remained in position throughout the period of viewing. Although the cross light rendered a significant challenge for my photography, I hope I got a few acceptable shots of what is such an enigmatic bird. Lenny and his wife told me that on previous visits it would fly around 5.30pm and Lenny later kindly updated telling me that it had a wing stretch then flew at 5.35pm tonight.

No comments: