Saturday 8 February 2020

A corking bird is the Shore Lark!

On Tuesday 4th February, at the pool by Heathlands steps 8 Sanderling were seen, another good count for the area. By the southern end of the shore pool, the bird was perched on a bund, it raised its wings and then flew off seconds before I first saw the bird. Walking around the western end of the shore pool the bird flew over to the north- east edge of the pool and it fed amongst small areas of grass dotted around the sand and then along shoreline, where it gave superlative views albeit in poor light. The Shore Lark was showing well along the northern edge of the North Beach saline pool by the beach. On Saturday 8th February, a couple were scoping the bird from the south section of the now much reduced shore pool (40% had gone around the southern end) I asked them if it was OK to walk around, having received their assent, they walked back and I spotted the bird again by the north east corner of the pool, again by the shoreline. Taking care not to disturb the bird, I dropped down and got within 30 feet of it, it continued to feed undisturbed and it came towards me within 20 feet and I spent the next hour photographing this obliging bird. Again occasionally it raised its left leg, is it injured? I had noted this on Tuesday and Barry W had mentioned it this morning in a tweet. A very disappointing trip to Carlton Marshes late afternoon trip in seemingly perfect weather failed to reveal any SEOs for me at least, really only a couple of paths to follow as Share Marsh is closed until the spring, but I still couldn't find the bare branches where so many have photographed this bird.

No comments: