Saturday 22 February 2020

Purple Sands and Shag defy the blustery conditions

On a very blustery Saturday 22 February morning, a visit to Ness Point was in order and I saw Chris S (new birder) who had kindly tweeted out about the dozen Purple Sandpipers he'd just seen. He explained to me there were at the far end of Ness Point wasting no time I was soon there and sure enough by the far ledge the birds were still there. However, only 4 of their number flew onto the ledge with the waves lashing against the defence rocks, 4 fine Purple Sandpipers. Carrying onto the northern end of Ness Point, I saw a further 6 Purple Sandpipers on the rocks showing well. No wanting to disturb them, I walked around to the sea wall for some height to see if I could count them. 6 then flew and joined the others and when I walked back there were all on the ledge area I counted a wonderful cumulative total of 12 Purple Sandpipers all present and correct! My highest total this winter. Very sad to see work has started on the "Ness Point Park visitor attraction" with a road transacting the Netposts and running alongside our local heritage. Expect some development, more people and less migrant birds and wildlife, what a waste of time and money, sometimes I despair. Moving onto Oulton Broad, I walked back to the Mutford Lock bridge and the Shag that had been tweeted out by Jane F was still there and I took a few photos from the railing. The fine 1st winter Shag was lying down half way back along the jetty facing south, it was very alert, constantly vigilant and looking around but it remained there during the half hour period of observation.

No comments: