Sunday 2 October 2016

Yellow- browed Warbler in Corton woods

Looking around Gunton this morning saw Rob, Andew & Rob M and his wife along a path by the tree line north of Dip Farm playing fields. Andrew & Rob had just seen a brief Ybw fly in to the thick copse but try as we might Rob M and later James W and myself couldn'tt see it! I decided to check Corton woods and by the pond, I thought I heard a distant Ybw call twice but couldn't be sure. I joined Rob M and his wife and we struggled to see anything. We parted company at 1pm. At around 1.15pm, just north of the pond, I was suddenly surrounded by a LT Tit flock and I heard the distinctive "tsuip" call of a Yellow- Browed Warbler, a small warbler with silky white underparts flew and then called again where it alighted just right of its original position then disappeared. I sorted through around 20 LT Tits, 4 4 Great & 3 Blue Tits and then just west of the pond, I heard the "tsuip" call of the Yellow- browed Warbler then I saw it fly, a vision of olive green above and a plethora of wingbars with cream supercilia, 2 white wing- bars then it disappeared as abruptly as it had first appeared. Also seen in the Tit flock were 2 Coal Tits and by the vegetation by the pond, a Chiff- Chaff. Whilst walking along the northern section of Gunton ORT, first 1, then 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 small Thrushes flew up individually and then all started calling "tseeet" 7 Redwings.

No comments: