Friday 23 April 2010

Spring Migrants at last!

Spring migrants are finally trickling in despite the persistent light northerly winds. I visited Fisher Row this evening and the first bird I saw was a female Green Woodpecker (a resident bird) which flew into a tree. Looking down a dyke, I could see a Fox resting at the end. Just over the railway track, I heard the first of 4 reeling Grasshopper Warblers, 4 Blackcaps were heard also and 2 males were seen in the bushes, 7 Cetti's Warblers heard, 4 Willow Warblers heard singing as were 4 Chiff- Chaffs and one Willow Warbler showed just past the bowl. An excellent Cuckoo was heard from the direction of the western reed fringed end of Carlton Marshes.
Finally walking back, a Barn Owl flew around the marsh, it perched on a bush briefly & I could see it was a very pale individual, it was seen later flying over fields opposite the entrance track. Finally, looking into field opposite the entrance track, where I was trying to spot another singing Grasshopper Warbler I disturbed 3 formerly hidden Muntjac Deer which ran to the back off the field and then crossed the marsh to the north.

No comments: