Saturday 24 April 2010

More Spring Migrants

First stop was Corton Cliffs & Old sewage works where I saw a Kestrel alight onto the field, 8 Wood Pigeon with a particularly amorous male wooing a female and 3 Sky Lark. As I walked to the cliffs first 2 and then a load of Sand Martin were flying around the cliffs and dropping onto the coastal path, I managed a few shots before first cyclists and then 3 walkers completely spooked them off. My cue to leave and walking around Corton Old rail track I saw a Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker by the copse of tree where a pair of Blackcap were also seen. By the bushes around the southern edge of the boardwalk I heard and then eventually saw a Whitethroat. A pair of Partridges flew off and disappeared before I could get my bins on them. A couple of Peacocks were seen and Primroses were nicely in flower further along the track and especially at Corton Churchyard.
Late this afternoon I checked the usual Early Purple Orchid site, there not in evidence whatsoever. Following the exceptionally harsh winter we have just endured, they will be very late this year flowering sometime in May, my guess would be early or even mid- May.
Sad news re: the garden nesting birds both the brooding female Blackbird (formerly on a nest outside the kitchen window) and the pair of Blue Tits (nesting in a nestbox  just outside the conservatory) both species have recently abandoned their nest, a pile of Blackbird feathers on the lawn told the story that one or both of next door's cats had been after them, lets hope she was able to escape?

No comments: