Sunday 11 April 2010

Lound Village Wryneck

After receiving a message from Rob W in the evening, I literally dived straight into the car and 10 minutes later I joined a select group of birders (Andrew E, Ricky F, Rob W & Roger C) overlooking the Lound Village Pound. After 10 minutes, I saw a bird fly up into the large tree to the south of it I looked up and saw the excellent Wryneck. As always cryptically plumaged, and a lovely bird that's always nice to see, it then flew further up the tree and crawled around the branch in true Woodpecker fashion, before it then flew west over road and behind the Village Maid pub.
Most of our number walked slowly round being careful not to flush it, when Rob W spotted it perched in a bush just south of the pub. I managed to obtain a few record shots in the 20 minutes of observation, before failing light forced it to fly west into the garden presumably to roost.

No comments: