Sunday 9 June 2024

Turtles and Frogs!

On Sunday 9th June, I travelled into deepest Suffolk to a traditional site for Turtle Doves, when I arrived I immediately saw a Red Kite quartering the area by the side road. There was a fresh breeze and it was cloudy consequently birds were hard to see, I could hear Yellowhammers but it took an hour before a fine adult male Yellowhammer perched in a bush. This bush was just behind a group of mature bushes. Scanning for Turtle Doves initially no luck, I saw many Wood Pigeons, several 5 Stock Dove and Collared Doves though. After 75 minutes, the sun broke through and bathed the landscape in a warm golden light and almost immediately a Turtle Dove started 'purring' from the group of mature bushes next to me, I walked back a little and I could hear Dove-like peeping noises surely these were young nestlings? Sure enough, a super Turtle Dove flew up and perched on a horizontal branch, joined by its mate, a second Turtle Dove, they were perched up for around 50 seconds before flying back into the bush. This was clearly the site of a Turtle Dove nest, so I immediately left the area and left them to it and walked back to the car. Lets hope they successfully rear all the youngsters and they fledge to maturity. Next visit, was another site in deepest Suffolk for Frog Orchids. I walked to the usual ara and almost immediately I found 1 Frog Orchid, then another, another and another, totalling 4 Frog Orchids all in the same area, further back a tall pale Frog Orchid found made 5 Frog Orchids in total. There were also quite a few c50 Pyramidal Orchids, especially near the start of the walk. Another reason why localities are sometimes not advertised on my blog is illustrated by the last photo. I hope the perpetuator is caught and locked up.

No comments: