Wednesday 26 June 2024

Orchids in deepest Suffolk & a trio of Little Owls

On Monday 24th June, I drove into deepest Suffolk on the trail of Fragrant Orchids and hopefully catching a few early Marsh orchids too. I arrived and parked up and walked to the Orchid area either side of the path, a boggy area, I was glad I had worn Wellington boots. I was pleased to soon see the newly out Fragrant Orchids either side of the path, with most on the right side of the path. I also saw 4 or 5 Early Marsh Orchids (all white- flowered individuals) too, with white flowers. I was also pleased to finally see some butterflies, a Meadow Brown and Small White butterflies. flying on the right side of the path. There was also around 5 Marsh Helleborines just starting to come out too. As I was driving back along the A143, the junction adjoining the A146 had closed so I was forced to divert but this proved to be very advantageous as at 9.08pm, I first saw one Little Owl on a telegraph post, it the flew over the road and onto wires on the other side of the road, a little further back from this I saw a second Little Owl perched on an another telegraph post at 9.10pm. As I was getting nearer home near some cottages at 9.28pm, a third Little Owl was also seen perched on a telegraph post. Incredible since before this year I hadn'd sen Little Owls for 2 years!

No comments: