Tuesday 4 June 2024

Bee Orchids & Nightjars in deepest Suffolk

On Sunday 2nd June, at one site, during the afternoon I counted just 15 Bee Orchids with no Clorantha White Bee Orchids present at a site in coastal Suffolk, disappointingly the landowner had mown a metres perimeter around the whole area obviously cutting down some Bee Orchid plants. I ventured into deepest Suffolk to try and sea Nightjars, walking down the path we heard 2 Willow Warblers singing and I saw a bird drop down. I heard a brief churr of a Nightjar and at 9.40pm suddenly the churring started in a clearing, I suddenly saw a bird, a fantastic Nightjar fly across the ride. It started churring from this side of the ride, whilst another bird churred from the same area as the previous bird, amazingly Rob spotted it, a second fine Nighjar perched on a manmade structure. It was churring away. We also saw Muntjac and heard one barking from the deeps of the Pine tree woods.

No comments: