Sunday 5 May 2024

Poorly Narcissus fly?

On Saturday 4 May in the garden, I rescued a Narcissus Fly, a type of hover fly which looks very bee-like. It was initiallyt on the back lawn of our garden and both our Cats, Whitby & Misty were verey intersted in it! I put it on a leaf in our central flowerbed. On Sunday 5 May I found it crawling up the side of the blue bin and I carefully put onto a Hebe bush and put a little sugar mixed with water on an adjacent leaf as I thought it was desperate for sime food sustenance. It wasn't that from the photo's the wings hadn't developed obviously newly emerged from the chrysalis and it needed some sunning for the wings to sprout and develop fully. It posed beautifully for pictures after an hour and 15 minutes it flew off fully recuperated, so pleasing to see. Having looked at the pictures, this was confirmed to be the case. Also seen in the garden were 2 Holly Blues.

No comments: