Friday 24 May 2024

Bee Orchids and RBS

On Thursday 23rd May, early I visisted Lound on the hunt for an RBS seen in the evening before, I parked by the hill and walked up past the Lakes on the left, I saw a chap who hadn't seen it and neither did I. I did hear and see a Whitethroat though. the first flower on the Bee Orchids in the garden at the James Paget Hospital were starting to flower. In the evening, I headed over to Castle Marshes. Just after 6pm, I parked up in North Cove car park, hearing a brief snatch of Garden Warbler song but I couldn't see it. Going past the dykes, I sawa Hawker patrolling the dykes, almost certainly a Norfolk Hawker, although only seen in silhouette. I walked out to the river walk turning right for just 30 metres, it was nice to see Gavin and Tony B there, we were later joined by Phil D. too. Looking back over the Castle marshes, the excellent male Red- backed Shrike was seen. It was seen in a big islated bramble patch, perched up and actively hunting for insects and it dispatched several bumbles bees whilst I was there. It was a fine adult male in full summer plumage with a pinkish flush to thje breast being most vivid on the flanks particularly the rear flanks. It hunted around the length and the breadth of the bramble bush and surrounding dyke area, often flying down to the ground in pursuit of its prey. Whilst we were standing on the riverbank, we heard the very close bubbling call of a female Cuckoo but sadly we couldn't see it. A female Marsh Harrier also flew by. Walking back as, I was about to rejointhe path from the river bank, I heard another brief snatch of a Garden Warbler but again, I could't see it, a very vocal Chiff-Chaff was seen in the bush as well. I then travelled back to Carlton Marshes looking around the car park and reception but no sign of the SEO, people were still there and a child still playing in the play area.

No comments: