Sunday 26 June 2022

Photographing local Orchids & then mad dash to Minsmere

On Saturday 25th June, I was out locally checking to see if I would see the fledgling Green Woodpecker which I didn't but plenty of yaffling Green woodpecker calls which is encouraging. Then I went to another site to photograph 2 Pyramidal Orchids. Then a cycle ride to another local site, which yielded 1 Pyramidal Orchid along the entrance path and a Bee Orchid a metre beyond it. Then just over the fence, a further Pyramidal Orchid, 3 Pyramidal Orchids in the usual area further on then incredibly a wonderful total new colony of 42 Pyramidal Orchids. Around 20 Bee Orchids seen here too. Then news of a Caspian Tern and I cycled back home and transferred to the car, once confirmation the bird was back. I got to Minsmere about 6.30am and by 6.45pm, I was in the hide and the bird, a fantastic Caspian Tern, was on one of the spits reasonably close to the hide. Initially obscured by BH Gulls and an adult Mediterranean Gull, a drake Shelduck was bullying all and sundry and the bird was then in clear view. It then flew to the spit just south of the one I originally sighted it on. I walked over to the other side of the hide and nice to see John R, here the bird was soon flying and then it flew to the next spit south again and slightly further away. Kevin then appeared and we eventually got him onto the bird, where it was paddling in the water. It then flew up and headed towards Island Mere, but within 10 minutes it was back. Something put all the birds up and the bird flew over to the east scrape before eventually touhing down in the northg- east corner and out of sight. One alarming sight was of 3 dead BH Gulls one just beside a nest and this has been confirmed as bird flu.

No comments: