Sunday 19 June 2022

Breeding Bee-eaters & Hummer in garden

On Saturday 18th June, although I have seen several groups of Bee-eaters in recent years, as recent as 8 last year at Great Yarmouth, I have never seen a breeding colony so when on Friday the PSPB announced 7 where nesting on the NE coast of Norfolk I was keen to see them. Just after 8am I drove through the village of Gimmingham and just after that on the left was a sign saying RSPB Bee-eaters I paid my £5, parked up and looked intoa sandy quarry where immediately I heard then saw Bee-eaters flying around. 2 were perched in a bush over the far side and at one time, 5 were seen up in the air together. Just down from the track a fine Bee-eater was sat inside the nest hole. Further along a Bee- eater was perched on the wires and then it frequently flew and caught several unfortunate Red Admirals which it golluped down and then later it caught a Bee living up to its name admirably. Later in the afternoon, on Saturday 18th, in the garden a fine Hummingbird Hawk Moth fed for 5 minutes on Red Valerian in our Parkhill garden at 3.05pm.

No comments: