Friday 24 June 2022

Rescuing Master Yaffle

On Friday 24th June, an invite from Rob H and I was over at his house by 6pm specifically to photo 3 Elephant Hawk Moths, which showed well, one was powering up its wings and soon flew off, all 3 were in pristine condition, all a garish pink. There was also a Silver Y and a Cockchafer present too and a rare micro moth. It had become cloudy and the light wasn't very good so I was confined to using fill in flash and photographing them side on. Many thanks to Rob H for this wonderful vand very local opportunity to photo such stunning creatures. Always a pleasure to see them. I then cycled to Tesco Petrol station and then was confronted with the incongrous sight of a young fledgling Green Woodpecker sat on the pavement right next to the busy road to Tesco Gunton Petrol station! It wasn't moving and you could walk right up to it. It sat in a damp area by its behind, but on closer inspection, it wasn't bloodied and didn't appear injured in any way, it didn't look like it had contracted avian flu either, but I am no vet. I took a few very quick pictures with my 100mm macro lens (the only camera I had with me as I was on a different photographic mission! By wrapping my hands in a plastic bag for for both infection control purposes and to make sure I didn't leave my scent on it either. I very carefully picked it up and put it in a brown box. It leapt up and sat on the very top edge of the box where it inquisitively poked its head around, I had my hands full but coyldn't take any more pics of it, the priority was to get the bird safe. It was clear it had to be moved to the glassy mound beyond where I could hear the yaffling calls of its parents. As I lifted the box over the fence it took to flight, a short flight anti- clockwise over the road and then over the fence to the grassy knoll beyond where I left it. POSTSCRIPT I am delighted to report that half an hour later, James C was in the area, saw the same bird taking short flights here and then last saw it, it flew up into a tree, so good news all round for this little master Yaffle bird! (it showed a hint of red in the sub- moustachial area).

No comments: