Monday 23 November 2020

Sotterley lacking the star birds

On Sunday 22nd November, I had my exercise walk at Sotterley, looking carefully around the Dell, just north and south and along the field margin to the west of there very little seen. Walking over to the church, checking the weir, a fine Grey Wagtail flew off. Nothing by the church either. Walking back past the lake, a chattering Nuthatch, revealed said bird scaling up down and a thick trunk of tree, where at the very apex, a Mistle Thrush perched and it was soon joined by its mate, a second Mistle Thrush. A group of 5 Long- tailed Tits, included 4 Blue Tits and 2 Goldcrests. 7 Redwings were seen flying north- west overhead. Walking back along the meadow to the Dell, a mewing Buzzard was heard. Again, checking the Dell, nothing here but 14 Redwings flew east. Walking back to the car, through the trees I could see a Carrion Crow mobbing a Red Kite. Not bad, however my Sotterley hoodo continues as just 20 minutes after I left 1 Hawfinch was seen flying north and later in the afternoon, 4 were seen along the northern edge of the Dell, Sotterley almost matches my seawatching exploits to equal, an epic fail!

No comments: