Monday 16 November 2020

Shore Lark (the highlight) the low light complete lack of fieldcraft X2

On Monday 16th November, I walked along the Lowestoft North Denes and in between the 2 shelter belts I was astounded to see a so called 'birder' standing slap bang in the Dusky W territory amongst the bracken in front of the large bush. What utter stupidity, I called him back and he apologised saying he didn't know about it's territory but surely common sense would override this apparently not! I heard a Firecrest but not seen, unsurprisingly no sight nor sound of the Dusky, I waited half an hour and then walked back and in Link's Road car park, 6 adult winter Mediterranean Gulls including one ringed individual (white ring black letters E861- one I've seen several times before, an old friend, first seen as an adult winter 20 September 2013, 26 October 2016 and 24 September 2020)) and 2 Common Gulls. Walking down to Heathlands, a LT Tit flock comprised a couple of Goldcrest and a calling Chiff- Chaff, by the pool nearest the sea, I saw 2 feeding Sanderling and also Tony B and we walked north along the beach and I checked the bit where the water kinks inland and sure enough an excellent Shore Lark flew up and onto the beach shore line where it gave good views and posed nicely for the camera for 10 minutes before it suddenly flew across the water and landed along the inland edge somewhere. We saw Nick M he tried elsewhere, as Tony and I walked back around half way along, a Shore Lark suddenly flew in and settled along the shore edge before feeding by the marram grass in front of us, I tweeted it out and after some gesturing Nick who was walking back from the inland side saw it. Walking back, I looked back and 4 Sanderling flew south along the pool. I was dismayed to see 9 large dogs not under control with 5 people laughing they were splashing in the pools. They were heading in the direction of the Shore Lark pool and i tweeted out a warning to the birders present there and sure enough they were disturbed but did eventually conme back. A walk from Walberswick Hoist covert car park revealed a calling redpoll flying inland just I got to the marshes, nice to see Dick W, we had a catch up and Dick said have a look at the really confiding Snow B's. So when I reached the beach, I walked left or north for 30 yards and then on my knees I got within 30 feet of the super confiding 6 Snow Buntings (2 males and 4 females) feeding in the green patch by the post leaning at a 90 degree angle seawards. Light was very poor sadly but before I could get more than a couple of shots, another complete idiot walked straight up to me and bellowed "Where are they mate?" He still couldn't see them still them (should have gone to Specsavers! Other optical retailers are available too!) when I politely asked him to lower his voice, he didn't resulting in 4 of the birds running back soon to be joined by the other 2. By the pool just north of the path, I heard an EYW plus 8 Teal, 3 males and 5 females. Plus a Great White Egret flew past right over the path ahead of us, the second seen after one flying over the reeds further south. Walking back by the planked walkway srcub area, a flock of LT Tits included a Marsh Tit (heard only, 2 Goldcrest and a briefly confiding Lesser Redpoll. Does my current age of 56 mean I am turning into a Victor Meldrew??

No comments: