Saturday 7 November 2020

A Walberswick "most excellent adventure"

On Saturday 7th November, for my exercise walk I decided to visit Walberswick in the hope of seeing the Eastern Yellow Wagtails and maybe see erupting Bearded Tits and Snow Buntings. I parked by the side of the road at Hoist Covert, with 3 cars already parked there and walked through the rather wonderful scene of Hoist Covert woods, the reedbeds were alive with tpinging Bearded Tits although I didn't see any until I got to the shore pools. A female Marsh Harrier quartered the reeds behind the mill. Taking the path to join the beach, immediately soth of the path, was a pool and I could see the excellent 1st winter Eastern Yellow Wagtail along the near edge showing well until I set the camera and then it disappeared, joining a few birders on the beach (less than 6 and socially distanced) including Matthew D and Craig F, we eventually saw the very grey looking 1st winter Eastern Yellow Wagtail (only a little yellow on its belly) around the near edge before it flew. We then saw it again by the same pool on viewed from the beach and it flew much nearer on the shingle beach, other birders (including Lee W and Dave F) ran by shouting Adams Rowlands had just found a Greater Yellowlegs on Dunwich shore pools! I stayed to photograph the presumed 1st winter Eastern Yellow Wagtail which was showing really nicely with just 2 of us in attendance! I then traipsed the mile along the beach further south and we joined a small group of birders scoping 1 of 2 birds on the pool at mid distance. The first bird was a Redshank, but the second was a magnificent 1st winter Greater Yellowlegs. A rare American visitor, stockier and slightly large than Lesser, with straw yellow legs and speckled brown above it was walking behind an island and then flew a short way to the northern side of the pool, where it continued to feed well, although 1 or 2 presumed Sticklebacks provided a swallowing problem on 2 occasions. This was the 3rd bird I have seen of this species, all in Suffolk having seen the Minsmere bird in 1985, the Southwold and Burgh Castle (Watsonian Suffolk but deemed in Norfolk) bird in 1995. My second Yellowlegs species in 4 days and probable 3rd (in number) of the autumn with the Runham bird being so shy an secretive unlike the Cley bird! A Great White Egret flew north along the reedbed and 2 Little Egret seen. Then the fine adult Eastern Yellow Wagtail, basically grey above and yellow below. It walked towards me then flew north. Walking back to the pool just south of the Dingle hills path, both the 1st winter and adult Eastern Yellow Wagtails feeding together, often flying up together and spiralling up then down again. I saw the adult Eastern Yellow Wagtail feeding along the edge of the beach it then went down into a dyke I was going to follow it when it suddenly appeared o the beach right in front of me, unfortunately as I spun round to get these pics, the ground gave way and the noise flushed the bird and I didn't get the close pictures I was hoping for. Walking 50 metres north, by the fedding area, 4 fine Snow Buntings seen. Walking back Matthew D had 2 fine looking moths, both Oak Rustic (brown moth with a white spot on each wing) and Olive Tree Pearl (white micro moth although quite big, with brown leading edge) and released them on Oak tree leaves.

No comments: