Monday 6 July 2020

Night Heron remains a Suffolk bogey bird

After receiving a tweet from Robert H saying he had sensationally seen a Night Heron flying into roost at Carlton Marshes accompanied by a fabulous picture. This was a big bogey bird for me in Suffolk, I had missed the one that had famously been on Buss Creek marshes, Southwold that Ricky saw in the 1980s (I was working in London then), I was hoping my luck would change. So I was up on Tuesday 7th July at 3am and down on the marshes by 3.40am, I wasn't sure where it roosted but guessed at the Egret roost on Whitecast marshes and decided to view from the ramp overlooking both the old scrape and Peto's Marsh. 38 Little Egrets came out of roost as did a fine Great White Egret early on that flew over my head. I also saw Hobby fly out and hunt early too (my first of the year) and a distant Common Tern on Peto's (NW corner also a first for the year). It was pleasing to see 2 fairly mature young Avocets on the old scrape and both Green Sandpiper and Whimbrel heard only too. It was equally nice to be buzzed by 7 Swifts on the bank, the only unfortunately thing was I needed my absent 100-400mm lens ( I can't carry everything!)On the walk back several 5 Sedge Warblers, 3 male Reed Buntings seen closely (and a close Chinese Water deer fed down a path but also eluded the camera) but all although close were obscured by vegetation so no pics. Carlton Marshes I find a really difficult place to photograph anything my last decent picture here were of the Little Owl at the now pulled down building to make way for the new Visitors centre. A female Green Woodpecker was in the trees at the far end and she flew out and flew back again. So no sign of the Night Heron at Carlton Marshes albeit with the following caveats: I was not sure where it roosted, could only check publicly accessible area reachable only from the main path going west (so couldn't check Spratts water, no time to walk the Whitecast marshes path), so could only check Car park scrape, N side of old scrape and the Se corner of Peto's marsh, I was also time limited as I needed to prepare for an appraisal at work at 8.30am.

No comments: