Sunday 5 July 2020

Med Gull Little Owl & Catchfly

On Thursday a Mediterranean Gull heard over the garden 59th on the lockdown list. on Sunday 5th July, a fine Little Owl was seen at a local churchyard, on a very windy day, no sign within but checking various Oaks there was one on the outer perimeter of the churchyard in the north- east corner and one was seen perched out at long range briefly. My first for almost 2 years, the last I saw in September 2017 when they still used the run down building as a breeding site, and was pulled down to make way for the new visitors centre at Carlton Marshes. I am withholding the exact location of where I saw today's Little Owl as I have seen toggers hassle this species (at Lound) and they disappeared for ever from what was a traditional site for them. Other traditional sites around Lowestoft have drawn a blank over the past couple of years so this is a precious new area to see them. Having received direction of Small flowered Catchfly at Gorleston, I easily found them and managed a few record shots of this diminutive species which was flowering in several clumps in an area south-west corner of a local landmark.

No comments: