Tuesday 21 July 2020

Grim day for Fallowfields and no Cuckoo/s

Monday 20th July was a grim day for Fallowfields when they completely cleared the rest of the bushes in a ten metres perimeter from our fence, all wildlife systematically and indiscriminately destroyed, a crying shame and it breaks my heart. I decided to lift my spirits by twitching 2 juvenile Cuckoos (always difficult to see I am very keen to see jug Cuckoos again after only ever being 2 along the North denies a few years ago) which were showing well down at Covehithe, thanks to brilliant directions from Jane F I found the spot and a lovely walk to the farm, but scanning the powerlines and walking the vegetation failed to reveal any Cuckoos albeit on a cool evening with dark clouds. The farmer had positioned a water sprayer to irrigate the crops but unfortunately it covered the footpath over to Covehithe Broad and try as I might very time I tried to cross the path, the sprayer switched back to spraying the path and potentially drenching me and my optics. Even though it was set to spray areas at regular intervals it had an uncanny innate sense immediately move back to spray the path as soon as I tried traverse the area! So I gave up and went home! Walking back 2 Herons flew over and a male Brown Hawker was buzzing around the garden just before dusk, maybe my last ever sighting in the garden?

No comments: