Monday 19 August 2019

The Little Gull returns, hurrah!

On Monday 19th August, another visit to Links Road car park at Lowestoft and the flock of 30 Black- headed and 1 Herring Gull also included the much sought after adult winter Little Gull which was standing in the middle of the flock, I very carefully manoeuvred into position, using the car as a mobile hide. The bird spent a lot of time preening but eventually sat down and showed really well. I was really pleased to finally spent some time with this bird and get some pics. Andrew E and Rob H then arrived and I drove to them and had a chat with them, we also saw 8 Common Terns and 5 Turnstones. Going back to the flock, as I sat in the car, a Stock Dove flew in and drank from the pool, the Little Gull was now sitting down, I took a few more pics and then went over to see Phil and his wife, before finally leaving the adult Little Gull was stated in the middle of the flock, it then then stretched its wings (showing the diagnostic black underwing) up called a slight but endearing rasping call twice then unexpectedly it suddenly took to flight, flying south at 7.05pm. Finally a white car (I don't think they were the youths from yesterday) drove towards the flock 5 minutes later scattering the flock again at 7.10pm, at which point I left.

No comments: