Sunday 18 August 2019

Frustratingly brief Little Gull

On Sunday 18th August a trip to Fairhaven Water gardens revealed a fine Kingfisher that flew into a bush from the bird hide, it sat with its orange breast in full view albeit slightly obscured by a few branches and a Marsh Tit, an immature Blue Tit feeding from the bird feeder and Great Tit seen also. Many Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers seen plus a brief Southern Hawker. In the evening at Links Road car park, at around 6.10pm, amongst the 30 or so BH Gulls (and 2 Herring Gull) I finally I saw the adult winter Little Gull, after 6 attempts to photograph one here to no avail. But I had problems with the camera and focusing, only being able to focus on the right, eventually I managed to sort it out but only after the Little Gull had very sadly flown off. So I didn't get the photos I wanted, very frustrating. Around 40 Common Terns seen on the groynes plus a flock of 8 Turnstone. Very nice to see Phil and his wife and Rob H. Later an adult winter Mediterranean Gull bathed in the pool of water and a brief Stock Dove flew down and drank from the pool of water too. This lovely evening was also totally spoilt by some boy racers who arrived in the car park driving around at high speed in circles, creating dust crowds and deliberating driving at the Gulls on two occasions which was making me quite stressed and angry, so I promptly left.

No comments: