Thursday 29 August 2019

Winterton & Corton woods

A walk up to the Northern most Toad pool with a nice surprise half way up. just beyond the tank traps failed to reveal either Scarce Blue- tailed or Southern Emerald Damselflies, instead 7 Emerald Damselflies and 7 Common Darter were seen. Half way up from the path, a female Dartford Warbler seen briefly by a bush. At the water filled Toad pool by the "Chinese Hills' a male Emperor Dragonfly was busily patrolling whilst a female was ovipositing in the water along the northern end. c400 Painted Lady seen and around 6 Graylings seen too. On the walk back, a fine male Yellowhammer was feeding on the path and was reasonably confiding but sadly not close enough for the 100-400mm lens I had with me! After the long walk back, I drove onto the grassy area just south of Corton woods entrance and had up to 5 mostly worn Brown Argos butterflies, my first confirmed ones in the UK fore several years, although I had seen one at the same spot earlier in the year which I suspected was one. The weedy areas were the most productive.

No comments: