Monday 12 August 2019

Great North Beach birding

On Monday 12th August, I ventured down to Lowestoft North Beach, as I drove along the Links Road car park, an adult winter- plumaged Mediterranean Gull was amongst the 12 or so Black- headed Gulls there. I saw Phil and his wife & on the groynes we saw around 40 Common Terns seen plus 2 Sandwich Terns and 11 Sandwich Terns were counted on the groyne to the north. A calling Whimbrel flew north over the sea. Andrew & James W turned up and the eagle- eyed Andrew E spotted a distant juvenile Arctic Tern perched on the 3 groin in from the furthest south groin we could see. A smaller bird with shorter more dainty bill, tiny legs, slightly darker grey back and distinct black cap. We enjoyed it for a few minutes before walking up and getting slightly closer views until walking closer still it apparently flew before I could get a picture of it. walking back I saw a Stock Dove on the beach briefly and it also flew south. Rob H arrived and instantly spotted a juvenile Yellow- legged Gull flying south, I eventually picked it up. We must have seen around 8 separate adult winter plumage Mediterranean Gull fly singly north, plus a juvenile bird was seen sitting on the sea too. hearing of James W just seeing a Spotted Flycatcher in the bush in the north west corner of the car park, I walked around and sure enough it was there with 2 young Blackcaps keeping it company. Sea watching with Rob H, Rob spotted 2 Arctic Skuas flying just under the horizon and I spent some time watching these as they were my first for around 3 years! Great to see again. Finally a calling 7 note whistle of the Whimbrel as it flew over Links road and Warren House wood heralded the end of a fine evenings birding (which could only have been improved with a few pics but nothing posed for me!) with great birders and top company.

No comments: