Friday 10 February 2012

Smew on Leathes Ham

I have been searching for a Smew all week, although I have been at work all week, I have checked local stretches of water, most have been completely frozen, but all without any Smew. Until today, when a tweet from Andrew E had me racing to Leathes Ham after work and at 5.15pm, I arrived but the light was fading rapidly and with dusk approaching, I scanned the area of open unfrozen water and initially I couldn't see it, instead seeing lots of duck especially Pintail where around 20 were seen. Then at the back, behind and island with a cut tree stump amongst the duck, I could see the excellent redhead Smew, with dark red crown and white cheeks. The silhouette was distinctive too in the rapidly fading light. A rare sight record and my first Smew seen here and first in Lowestoft for some time!

No comments: