Saturday 11 February 2012

Iced over




Saturday 11th February, I can honestly say that since Christmas, i haven't taken a single photo with my new lens in sunny weather. Today was the exception. First stop at a very icy Leathes ham with just 2 pools of fresh flowing water along the northern side from an other wise completely frozen area.
As I walked around, the excellent redhead Smew could be seen on the left- hand side of the Pool, before swimming out and being mainly at the back, but after a while she relented and spent a lot of time swimming around the north= west corner barely 5 metres away and we, OFB and I obtained some good shots in good light.
Around 20 Pintail, mostly males were at the back asleep on the ice, but a number of Gadwall and 1 male Wigeon swam close in.
The redhead Smew was diving frequently and often there was weed stuck in its bill.
A look at Oulton Broad and it was completely frozen over, so no Sawbills today there!
getting great advice from OFB, I drove down to the North denes caravan park along swimming pool road and went to reception to ask for permission to drive over the mobile caravan park site. The lady in reception was very nice and said yes, so I drove in and saw instantly 2 Lapwing and 2 Golden Plover, I drove up to the Golden Plover turning the engine off and eventually the Plover ran a little way towards me, I manoeuvred the car to get a good position in the best light and managed to obtain some good shots, especially near the fixed home blocking the concrete road running south. Also just north here near a patch of snow, the other Golden Plover ran towards me a showed well too.
Not to be outdone one of the Lapwings flew in close near the diagonal parking spaces at the end of Swimming Pool road and I was able to get good shots here too, especially of it successfully pulling out a leatherkjacket from the ground, which needed quite a tug before it swallowed its well earned meal!
i also made sure I went back to reception to thank the lady too.

No comments: