Sunday 29 May 2011

Needle in a Hay stack


A visit on Sunday 29 May to Gressenhall Museum/ Workhouse led afterwards to a visit to nearby Foxley Wood and we parked in the third of the car parks and I walked right to the start of the walk. Getting into the wood proper, I heard a Turtle Dove "purring" (first sighting for 2011) by some bushes and the Turtle Dove  flew right into a tree and was seen briefly perched before it flew. I then took some time trying to find Orchids, Spotted Orchids were starting to flower and were easy to see. At one point through the woods, a Roe Deer crossed the path from right to left right in front of me! The Greater Butterfly Orchid, a fantastic orchid to see, it was finally seen after several hours searching and entirely coincidently as I had given up and was trying to find my way back to the car park. The light was very poor and it was difficult to photograph as you couldn't get the preferred side on ground level view because the orchid was caged and not as in good condition as the one I had seen at Parkgate Down in Kent a few years ago. Caging Orchids particularly rare ones such as this is now necessary to protect them from harm especially in this location.

No comments: