Tuesday 24 May 2011

An early Hummer!

The continued dry and hot spell ultimately provided great excitement today when I discovered an early Hummingbird Hawk Moth feeding off the nectar from several orange flowered Honeysuckle plants that are growing up on the western wall (of the Salvation Army building) of the Great Yarmouth Library Community garden. It was seen at 3pm when the wall was bathed in sunlight. The garden has been initiated through Big Lottery funding to give oppourtunities to those not in work and wanting to build their skills and confidence. The garden is very well tended by volunteers and the excellent range of wildlife friendly plants and bushes is now reaping dividends!
A look along Gunton cliffs this evening for a reported Quail seen in flight (inevitably yet another dip!) has put the seal on what is for me one the poorest Spring's (for me seeing rarities and in migrants on my patch) that I can remember, there's been quite a few good birds but I've missed most of them, at least other wildlife is providing some compensation though!

No comments: