Tuesday 31 May 2011

Another Hummer

At around 7.30am this morning the garden was alive the calls of young Blue Tits, surely the ones that had recently fledged from the nest box on the garage wall. I counted at least 6 young birds and the 2 adult Blue Tits busy feeding them by the holly bush, the Honeysuckle and the Jasmine, and I was able to obtain some shots of the young at close range from the bedroom window. 
Taking A/L as we having cavity wall insulation being put in today by British Gas, I was really pleased to see a Hummingbird Hawk Moth feeding from the pink flowers of a type of Red Valerian (last seen feeding from this plant on 10 and 21 July 2010, this plant is rapidly becoming one of my favourites!) in the garden just outside the kitchen window between 1:56 and 1:58pm this afternoon. As soon as I retrieved my camera it was off and flew west. Here's hoping bit comes back soon for more prolonged views and I can get some pics next time!
UPDATE: the Hummingbird Hawk Moth was back again briefly at 3:06pm on the lower flowers of the Red Valerian and late evening the Blue Tit family were back at the back of the garden.

No comments: