Friday 27 May 2011

Fledged Birds




Great excitement this evening when I saw the young Blue Tits fly the nest. One had flown this afternoon and was seen "bumbling around" the foliage by the nest box and even seen perched on the washing line. When I arrived home at 5.30pm one was seen perched on the vegetation just below the top beam of the pergola (just 2 feet away from the nestbox). 
When I went outside a recently fledged young Great Tit was seen by he pergola foliage and a family of at least 6 (2 adults and 4 youngsters).
At 7.15pm a soft thud heard from the conservatory, I looked out and my guess was right as to what had caused the sound. A recently fledged Blue Tit having left the sanctity of the nestbox had flown into the conservatory window! Another young very recently fledged Blue Tit was lying its wings outspread completely dazed (its head and upperback covered by aubretia flowers) when I went outside I was relieved to see it was still breathing. After a few minutes it flew up to the foliage by the washing line container attached to side of the garage and hopped up to the back of the foliage before flying to the back of the garden.
A late message from BINS had me driving up the A12 and joining a small throng of birders at 9.10pm on Breydon South Wall looking for a BB Sand, Justin L had the bird very briefly amongst a small flock of Dunlin. Justin gave great direction as to where the bird was before they all flew to Burgh Castle but the distance and the light were so poor that I wasn't even able to pick out the bird with my antedeluvian Kowa TSN 3 30X scope, the birds were just silhouettes and even the slightly smaller distinctive crouched shape and hook tipped bill of the could not even be made out (by me), another depressing dip in this great Spring of dips.
A cuckoo was heard calling from the copse behind the car park.

No comments: