Saturday 12 February 2011

Waxwings in the Mist!

 A misty damp start to the day, did not deter the male Bullfinch who was feeding on the buds of the Rowan tree in the garden at 10:24am, the female Bullfinch remained in the bushes over the back.
As I was about to go off with Jenny, I spied a "starling- sized' bird perched on the very top of a tree on the western edge of Bosquet Close and bordering the A1117 Oulton road, (just  North of Parkhill hotel)it looked interesting and I raised my bins at 12:24pm and then could clearly see it was an excellent Waxwing, my first for the Close and also seen from the north-west corner of our front garden.
Looking further I saw 5 Waxwing, perched on the very tops of these trees along the western edge of the Close, several appeared to be flycatching flying up and then back to their original perch. My first locally from where I live and the first for the garden! Joy of joys!
They then flew in a south- easterly direction and one evn flew directly over the back garden clipping the south- west corner and they flew to the tall trees just a few metres south of The Leas road just off fallowfields. I then counted 11 Waxwing, they perched here for a few minutes before they all flew west appearing to fly over Parkhill towards Gunton.
Driving over to Gunton at first I didn't see any, but eventually 5 Waxwing flew over to the Clover Way/ Squires Walk junction and perched in the tree on the corner and the overhead wires and TV aerial of the house on the corner.
They then flew off and 5 Waxwing seen briefly in flight here 10 minutes later in the company of OFB and Danny P.
At Links Road, "Stumpy" the adult Mediterranean Gull (with just 1 and 1/2 legs) was again being watched by Jon E and friend, as well as Danny P and friend. The Iceland Gull was seen sitting on a groyne, south of here in the distance sitting on the post. A cracking adult Mediterranean Gull, fully legged, flew in and I was about to get some good shots when it was flushed by another photographer who drives a silver car.
Another 3rd adult Mediterranean Gull flew north and it eventually settled on the car park and I got a couple of pics before it was disturbed by another birder who drove past it totally unaware I was photographing it. I gave up after this, too much disturbance!


No comments: