Notes on birds/wildlife from a nature enthusiast & photographer (copyright Peter Ransome)
Monday, 7 September 2026
Finally, a Clifden Nonpareil!
On Monday 7th September, a tweet from Howard V. who runs the excellent Blue-eyed birder blog, he and Anthony W. had captured a fine Clifden Nonpareil Moth ( moth I had long wanted to see ever since one had been captured in North Walsham in the early 2000's) and Howard had kindly offered people on our local Whats App group the chance to view and photograph it. So just after 6pm, I arrived at Howard's house and he took me through to an area at the back where he released the Moth, a real beast of a Moth being about the length of the palm of my hand, It's mottled plumage was quite subtle until the distinctive blue showed and when it flopped over as a defensive mechanism it showed alternate creamy buff and dark baring as striking as the underwing of a zoothera Thrush and equally as stunning!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! How wonderful! Great photos, too...
Thanks David, I have long wanted to see ever since one was caught at North Walsham I believe in the early 2000s, amazed at how big they are
Post a Comment