Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Tarzan Diver!

Just after 12.30pm on Wed 23rd September, a tweet from Dale that he had a BT Diver close in by the caravan park, had me driving down to the Lowestoft North Denes/ North Beach, parking at the Swimming Pool Road car park opposite the Sparrow's Nest and walking down to the sea wall. An initial sweep of the sea revealed nothing, but a couple I met said that the Diver had swum north, so we; Rob H. and I walked north as we did so we met up with Paul & Jane. Jane spotted a reasonably close Red- throated Diver which flew south. Just before we got to the Link's Road car park, we saw a Diver close in on the sea, not a Black- throated, but a nice summer plumaged Red- throated Diver. I went onto the beach and only moved into position when the bird had dived. I managed a few pics but the bird was regularly feeding and diving regularly resurfacing tens of metres away at first swimming north and then south where it had swum really fast, even faster than the Tarzan actor Johnny Weissmuller who had been a multiple Gold medal winner at both the 1924 Paris and 1928 Amsterdam Olympics! Running on the sandy beach, (completely laden with old 500mm lens on my back and a scope and tripod, whilst trying to avoid obstacles such as with shards of rock from the old seawall, was both an exhausting hot and hazardous business, I was trying to keep up with fast swimming Diver! A look at Ness Point afterwards the sea was quiet and it only revealed an Oystercatcher, 2 Turnstone on the Jetty/finger.

No comments: