Wednesday 31 January 2024

No Owls or wild Swans but nice Egret find

On Wednesday 31st January, I took a few hours leave to look for Swans in East Norfolk and Short- eared Owls at St. Benet's Abbey near Ludham. I arrived at about 1.30pm, unfortunately, it was quite windy and no Owls were seen. This is the first time this has occurred this winter, zero Owls, typical. No Swans either (apart from the odd Mute). A Red Kite flew over (south of the car park) and that or a different bird was seen to the north of the car park later. Around 5 Marsh Harriers seen, mostly males, one had red tags and 2 juveniles seen too. I did see 3 Cranes flying over (south of the car park) from the far left to the back. Surprise of the trip when I was travelling along the Marsh Road back to Ludham Johnson Street, I saw a Cattle Egret seen over the far side of the field. Stood out a mile, I saw it whilst driving back down the road. With a yellow bill and white jowl. It then flew left, yet another nice find!

No comments: