Saturday 27 January 2024

Benacre magic then Eaglefest at Langstagtoft

On Saturday 27th January, I drove down to Benacre just after first light, I was determined to get some pics of the LT Duck. A sharp "tick" revealed a Yellowhammer perched up in a trees by the long bush-lined track to the cliffs. Walking down, I saw 2 Ringed Plovers again on the broad edge and a Lapwing on the shoreline further north. Initially, there was no sign of the LT Duck, but then I spotted it again, the far side of the Broad but it was swimming this way! Within minutes it was in the middle of the Broad then minutes later it was right over to the Broad edge close to the beach. The bird was frequently diving and I was able to get into position during its dives and this fine Long- tailed Duck was totally at ease & sometimes surfaced barely 5 metres from me! There were also 5 Goldeneye on the Broad, 3 males and 2 females. The bird regularly fished along the south and middle eastern edges of the Broad. 3 Dunlin suddenly flew from the Broad over the beach and seawards. After a tweet from David W., I left & I was walking back and then driving back along Mill Road, just 1000 metres west of Covehithe itself by the wood by the Pig field, I stopped by the wood for a call of nature! As I walked back to the car, I heard the rattling calls of Mistle Thrushes, and then the very distinctive trilling of Waxwings! By the road side, I could initially see 6 Waxwings perched up in a tree very high up, 2 were further up in the next tree along flew back and joined the aforementioned 6, making 8 Waxwings in total. I had a few moments to savour these birds before suddenly they took to flight and flew north over the wood. I turned my attention to the ploughed field north of the wood, the other side of the road and I was pleased to see 2 Mistle Thrushes in the field. An hour and 15 minutes later, I was driving along Kiln Lane, Langstagtoft (a great name sounds Germanic to me!) and I saw Nick M by the side of the road, I stopped and he informed me the Eagle had flown, but as I walked back to the car he said he had it. I rushed back and saw the excellent White- tailed Eagle flying left and then right where it wheeld around turned and then flew up into a tree! It sait in this tree for about an hour, sometimes obscured, sometimes almost in full view. It was memorably mobbed by a Buzzard on 2 occasions and was accompanied by some corvids, mostly Carrions Crows up to 8 but also 4 Jackdaws too. 2 Red Kite were also seen flying around too. The first 2nd year White-tailed eagle 3X had a fly to the right of the tree before flying back. Thn after about an hour it flew left and Rene B who joined us together with Jeremy G and Matthew S, we drove parked just off the road and incredibly saw the fine Eagle perched on top a large dead tree at the back of a field. It sat here for a further hour and 15 minutes. Incredibly during that time, I saw a massive bird flying, over a wood over to the right of the field, I looked at it with my bins and scope and thought this another White- tailed Eagle! I then switched to my camera to get as many pictues as I could. It was flying over the wood to the right. An incredible find, as I switched to the camera taking shots I heard Rene yelling out "There's a 2nd White- tailed Eagle!" The Eagle, it was obviously an immature bird flew over the wood disappeared, then a minute later reappeared and finally flew north.

No comments: