Sunday 6 September 2020

When South is KNOT North!

On Sunday 6th September, Rob Wil had kindly tweeted me this morning and I read this in a rush and I thought the Knot was around the north end of the sea wall. However, it was along the southern end not the northern end so when I realised my mistake at 5.30pm, I drove back down again. Unfortunately, just driving past the Foxborough, encountered 4 youths on mopeds all with "L" plates following directly behind me, who were blatently trying to force me off the road, driving up really close then braking (quite scary), so I indicated and turned off at the earliest opportunity, they beeped me and I beeped them back, as they turned off in the direction of Hollingsworth road. I then drove to the southern end of the sea wall, and initially I couldn't see the Knot but by the steps down to the beach opposite the Ting Dene caravan site (southern end) I could see it, the super winter plumaged Knot, feeding along the ledge in the distance towards Ness Point, I walked back to where it was and had to wait until it flew from the ledge (just underneath the current sea wall) onto a rocky spur of the old wreck of the sea wall, where the light was a lot better in the fading evening light. I limited the ISO to 1600 on the camera to make sure the pic wasn't too grainy. The bird liked this spur and spent sometime feeding here until flying onto the broken old sea wall. At this point, unbelievably, the 4 teenagers on "L" plates arrived along the car park by Birds Eye and settled on the sea wall. I thought it wise and the best course to beat a hasty retreat at this stage.

No comments: