Wednesday 16 September 2020

Flightly Lesser Yellowlegs at Runham

My old friend & colleague Peter C had found a fine Lesser Yellowlegs at Dunham swim. and on Wednesday 16th September, I finally decided to visit. he had helpfully given a grid reference and directions to the bird. So this meant, I had absolutely no trouble finding the place. There was even a road sign to Dunham swim, so parking considerately at the barns, I walked west to the mill and Chris & Alison & Chris Allen joined me and by the sink flood pools by the side of the river, I saw a medium sized wader fly up, which I though was a Greenshank but a little later on I spotted the fine Lesser Yellowlegs. Tony S was walking back and walked on the grass beneath the slope. As soon as we saw the Lesser Yellowlegs it flew off! We walked nearer the mill and looking back we saw it with a Little Egret. It fed for a quite a while and we watched it being joined by Steve S & Dot. Later it flew and we saw a Green sandpiper in flight and later on it was joined by a Greenshank (the bird I initially saw).The bird was very lightly and only allowed us getting within 80 metres of it.

5 comments:

David Bryant said...

Hope you don't mind me mentioning: it's Runham Swim...
Terrific bird, wasn't it?

John Harris said...

Peter, Well done. Not the easiest of birds to connect with.

Peter Ransome said...

Thanks, I think it was probably a miss- type or predictive text unable to change now as I can't revert back to legacy blog

Peter Ransome said...

Thanks John, most flighty Lesser Yellowlegs I've seen!!

Peter Ransome said...

Definitely predictive text as I wouldn't have miss- typed it 3X!!!