Monday 7 September 2020

Red- backed Shrike at Waxham

On Monday 7th September, I finally cracked and went after work for the Red- backed Shrikes. I was let down by the weather but definitely not the birds. As I parked the car, I could hear a Whitethroat calling. Thanks to very good and detailed directions from Jane F and I was also very fortunate enough to meet Robin C. (good to see him again after quite a while) walking back (as I arrived) and both Jane and now Robin gave me very good directions for both birds. The 'timid' bird remained true to form and didn't show for me (although I only spent a few minutes looking for it and prioritised the showy bird as any light was limited, the days are pulling in all too quickly) Sadly, this was hastened by grey leaden skies rolling in, reducing any chance of portfolio photography. I walked around the area for the first 30 minutes initially not seeing anything and then as I walked back, the fine Red- backed Shrike popped up on a bush just by the edge of the path ahead of me and showed "reasonably" well, it flew to another bush where I got some pictures before it flew to the scrub on the edge of the field. I saw the Red- backed Shrike for around 10 minutes in total duration. I could then hear the "buggling" of Cranes, and I could see 3 flying birds. I walked back and then went to a site which has been a good traditional site and I spied an amazing 18 Cranes (including 2 immatures) all in a line at the very back of the site. At about 6.30pm "mizzly" rain started. Finally, as I was driving back just past Brograve Farm to my left, a female Sparrowhawk was maintaining my speed flying along the border of the hedge on the left hand side of the verge.

No comments: